Tuesday, May 26, 2020

On holiday, and quelle surprise--it's a staycation

Yesterday was Memorial Day here, a day we're to remember those who died in battle or from their battle wounds. No parades, no solemnity at the cemeteries, just a feeling of being lost when you're out of your routine and not quite sure what day it is.

I had thought to visit the nearby cemeteries, take my fife, play a few tunes, and end with Taps. But, i slept in for a change, and by the time i got up, it was too late.

I have a mental list of things i'd like to do before i rejoin the rat race and decided that I'd list several for today. I listed six items instead, and have finished four of the items. The fifth i started but likely won't complete until tomorrow. The sixth i can do tomorrow.

I also did a few things not on the list and feel rather chuffed about that. And the warm weather and wind felt good as i went on my walk around the neighbourhood today.

The gift of doing what needs doing but not having to rush to do it is delicious.


2 comments:

  1. I forgot about the fife, and passing as strangers in 1976.
    A neighborhood walk and wind in your face and waving at neighbors...all good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne, I did play it at my house, but thought it might be nice to go to the cemeteries as a mark of respect.

      Delete