Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Still a Luddite

I got a new phone about a year ago. Himself and i took the plunge into getting smartphones. Now that whole story can be a post unto itself.

Suffice it to say for now, I thought I had the basics of the phone worked out. I received a call yesterday from my Internet provider that they were going to do maintenance sometime between midnight and 6:00 a.m. The maintenance would take about 20 minutes. During that time, no Internet and the phone with that account (it's my business line)  would be disabled, so if i needed to make an emergency call (here it's dialling 911), I needed to have another way to do it.

I do, because I kept my landline for my personal number. As i dropped off to sleep, i recalled that i had my smartphone, which would also be able to work without the connection.

I usually switch off the smartphone for the evening but had forgotten. No problem. All was well.

This morning, i looked at my phone and wanted to revert to one of the tabs I hadn't deleted. I hadn't made it a bookmark because i didn't need it that permanent, but it was handy to have and check on for the next few weeks. All my tabs were cleared out.

My guess is that the smartphone was on my wireless connection so when that cut out, it just wiped everything.

I don't like this things being wiped away before i'm ready to toss, and then never really being completely gone, as somebody somewhere can retrieve it and use it. Sort of the digital version of those socks that go missing when you use the dryer.

Since using only a clothesline, i've lost just one sock.

Still a Luddite.

2 comments:

  1. There is a place in the universe where all the single socks float around ceaselessly until the end of time.

    ReplyDelete