Sunday, April 1, 2012

Sunday night chit-chat 01 April 2012

Carla says this can be a photo or saying.

May all that is unlived in you
Blossom into a future
Graced with love
~John O'Donohue

I'm sure others have already seen this, as it makes its way around Cyberia, but i'd like to give a shout out to Charlotte and Jonathon. WOW! It's not often that someone's singing makes me cry because it's so beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsNlcr4frs4

Reading
I am on the third book of the Arundle chronicles, The Lively Lady by Kenneth Roberts. I'm still drooling over Treasure Chests The Legacy of Extraordinary Boxes by Lon Schleining.

Watching
Rented the movie Dancing at Lughnasa. I thought the ending was too abrupt, as if the director realised the film was approaching the one hour, thirty minute mark, so just summed up in a voiceover what happened to the characters to keep within the ninety-minute timeframe. Then again, perhaps it was done to show just how quickly things change. I can be a very dense moviegoer.

Listening to
Besides Charlotte and Jonathon, I listened to a bit of Earl Scruggs this week, in homage to him and to mark his passing. I take bluegrass in small doses, and am not fond of that sort of singing, although i found my toe tapping along, and i sang bits and pieces.

Cooking/Baking
Emboldened by the success of the scones i recently made, i did make some this week with bacon, cheese, and onions. They were the best ones yet. The friend who showed me the recipe she had found didn't want some just now, as she's trying to eat fewer carbohydrates. I volunteered to freeze a few, if she wanted some for later. She nodded, so she'll be my guinea pig to see how well they freeze.

In honour of Phoebe's 12th birthday yesterday, i roasted a chicken. Everyone in the household loves roasted chicken. :)

Happy you accomplished this week
The oil company sent a repairman bright and early Monday morning to fix the water heater. Actually, the water heater was fine, but the oil-fired boiler was the problem. There are four main components to the boiler, the whoseit, the whatsit, that other gizmo, and the thingamjig. On a holiday, gizmo stopped working so was replaced. And, on two weekends several months apart, the thingamajig an whatsit stopped, and needed to be replaced. Last weekend, it was the whoseit's turn. sigh. At least it got fixed very quickly and we didn't have freezing temperatures, so no worries about frozen pipes.

The hockey game with friends was quite fun. One had never been to a hockey game, and i waved for one of the throwers to throw a tee-shirt to us. She did, and it landed between me and the newbie. I gave it to the newbie, in honour of her first game. Our other two friends have attended games, and one of them plays hockey with me on Sunday afternoons. Their adopted son turned 1 in the beginning of March, and was a wonderfully behaved baby. We ate at a restaurant before the game. K was sitting on his mother's lap eating bits of food from both her plate and his dad's plate. He placidly munched on a bit of pita bread and we all watched with anticipation as he munched on a bit of dill pickle. His expression never changed, which surprised all of us. Mother had falafel, and K picked up a piece of the falafel and popped it in his mouth. Within a second, he screwed his face up as tightly as possible and cried. He next tried jamming his whole hand in his mouth and scratched at his tongue to try and remove the offending bits. We all laughed, and even though his mother tried to get him to drink from his sippy cup to remove the taste, he gave her a look that plainly said, "Betrayal!" He took nothing else from Mother's plate and also looked circumspect at the bit of pasta Father gave him from his.


Looking forward to next week
I don't have anything special planned. I'd like to get the taxes all done so that by this time next week, i can saw Phew! That's behind me for another year.


Thankful for today
Cleaned one of the theatrical hampers to see how it would go. I'm sure the Antiques Roadshow folks would get all "stabby" as a friend says, knowing that i washed off grime from perhaps the 19th and 20th as well as the 21st centuries. Yes, the "patina" went down the drain, but the hamper is more useable now for me, and that's why i got it. I had it drying outside, although the clouds blocked the sun in the late afternoon, so i brought it back inside before leaving for my hockey game. I'll set it out tomorrow if the weather co-operates.

My leg feels nearly 100% so i played hockey this afternoon. Only one game rather than the usual two. I didn't have a lot of jump, and i couldn't pivot as normal, but otherwise, all was fine. Even towards the end of the game when i fell. It was one of those moments of truth; i paused a minute, breathed in, and everything was okay. :) It's still amazing to me how our bodies can heal, especially if we try to encourage it or create a situation where healing is unimpeded.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I hate when movies end "weird" like that!! I've had that happen & it's so annoying! Sounds like you had a great week! I'm glad your leg is starting to feel better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did have a great week, and i'm glad i had the patience to allow my leg to heal on its own schedule. I hated missing two weeks' worth of playing, but if i want to play hockey for the rest of my life, i figure giving up two Sunday's worth of games for 40 more seasons a fair trade.

    ReplyDelete